Enter the Maelstrom

For the last decade, Warhammer 40,000 has been a defining force in my life. While I have plenty of other priorities that outrank this crazy game that I play, it has shaped a large portion of who I am. In many ways it has sustained the creative energies in my life, and led me to continue writing. Something about the depth of the universe in which this grim darkness is set has always appealed to me, and the insane amount of detail means there is always some new facet to explore.

While I can be classified as one of “The Old Breed” who has played since that mystic time known as “back in the day”, I still love the game as it is now. There are things I disagree with from time to time (for example, the Dreadknight/Riptide/Wraithknight approach to powerful units leaves a nasty taste in my mouth), and I think any player feels this way. Some of the stories across different Codices makes me want to hurl, and rules can sometimes get fabulously carried away. Despite all this, I feel like Warhammer 40,000 is special.

Part of this comes from the time it brings with friends. I’ve had ups and downs at tournaments, but I always look forward to the next weekend, where we play six hour games over hamburgers and hot dogs, or we simply sit and discuss the story aspect of the 40k universe. 40k has been there through so many life experiences; I remember going to a tournament and then going through my wedding rehearsal the next day. I remember my wife telling me she was pregnant, at a tournament. It has been one of those few stable elements in my life. After a bad day, I always know I can count on my wife, my son, and my hobby to bring me out of a sad mood.

So join me, if you’re interested, on this nerd’s trip into the stars and planets of the 40k universe. I may talk tactics, army perceptions, or occasionally I might get something painted and post the works in progress. All I can promise is that the content will be driven by the enormous passion I have for this crazy game.

Into the grim dark we go…


Comments

Popular Posts