A Return to Something Familiar

Any of you who follow the blog and the YouTube channel will know that I have been on a Necron kick for quite a while now. I’ve really enjoyed learning the faction, and my recent foray into the Decurion Detachment showed me a fun new way to play them that was almost as different as starting a brand-new Codex.

With that said, I’ve been feeling the pull of an old faction for a while now. I played Tau almost exclusively through 2013 and part of 2014, eventually setting them aside because I felt the perception that people didn’t enjoy playing against them. Perhaps it was my playstyle, or something else entirely. Maybe the feeling was a falsehood altogether. At any rate, I traded them away for a massive Ork army, and I have regretted it ever since.

It isn’t that I haven’t enjoyed the mayhem of my greenskin horde. We’ve clubbed our share of skulls and come home with the loot as often as not, and that’s all any Warboss can ask of his Boyz. Rather, it is something to do with the Tau themselves that keeps pulling me back. I miss the army, and last week I plunged back into them from scratch.

The new models kept calling my name, and a book that didn’t change much meant I would have a good starting level of knowledge when it came to playing them. I just love the way the Tau function on the battlefield; the idea of the army working as a group of brothers, with nothing but honor and pursuit of the Tau’va driving their actions. I love how much they feel like a modern military, relying on technology and superior firepower to bring death to those that oppose them. I also love the feeling of situational awareness that drives them, where the placement of every soldier and every shot determines whether you stop the advance or get creamed in a close-range firefight that your low Toughness simply cannot endure.

I love their fluff, I love their models, and I love their playstyle. In short, the Tau feel like they are my army. I’ve missed them since I dropped them, and I plan to bring them back to the table as soon as they are painted. If all goes to plan I should have a force of 1,000 points ready to hit the field of battle a week from Saturday, but we will have to wait and see if time allows all that paint to hit the models. Either way, I’m excited to make them a part of the Stulte Mors campaign to see how they pan out.


Expect painting and tactics articles for the Tau in the near future, as I expand back into this faction full force. For the Greater Good!

Comments

Popular Posts