Necrons vs Thousand Sons – Warhammer 40,000 Battle Report


Today we have switched forces again, with the Thousand Sons falling into my hands as Josh blows the dust off the Necron legions. The war of the automata begins, as we get stuck into the Maelstrom!


The Armies

Dagon Dynasty
Necrons – 2,000

Battalion Detachment
Nephrekh Dynasty
HQ
Catacomb Command Barge: WARLORD (Eternal Hubris); Staff of Light, Gauss Cannon

Cryptek

TROOPS
10 Immortals: Gauss Blasters

10 Immortals: Gauss Blasters

10 Warriors

10 Warriors

10 Warriors

ELITES
C’tan Shard of the Nightbringer

Triarch Stalker: Heat Ray

Triarch Stalker: Heat Ray

FAST ATTACK
3 Destroyers

5 Tomb Blades: Shield Vanes, Gauss Blasters

HEAVY SUPPORT
3 Heavy Destroyers

Divina Colubrum
Thousand Sons – 2,000

Battalion Detachment
HQ
Exalted Sorcerer: WARLORD (High Magister), Helm of the Third Eye

Exalted Sorcerer

TROOPS
10 Rubricae

10 Rubricae

10 Rubricae

10 Rubricae

11 Cultists: Autoguns

10 Cultists: Autoguns

ELITES
6 Scarab Occult Terminators: Helfyre Missile Rack

FAST ATTACK
3 Spawn

3 Spawn

HEAVY SUPPORT
Chaos Predator: Twin Lascannons, Lascannon Sponsons

Chaos Predator: Twin Lascannons, Lascannon Sponsons

After Action Review

When I left that lone Immortal alive, I remarked, “I’m going to regret not having the guns to finish that guy off.” Like most things said by the servants of Tzeentch, it turned out to be prophetic.

The damage I did to his infantry that turn really marked the high water mark for the Thousand Sons, as everything went downhill from there. It really seemed as if I had gathered some impetus to break through the Necrons, but I simply did not count on the insane amount of damage I was going to suffer from the Necron support.

I also think I got too greedy with the Smites, especially in the turn where most of it impacted on the Tomb Blades. There was no way I was going to finish that squad off, and I should have been realistic about it. I just wonder what might have been if I had slowed down and cast some defensive powers on the Terminators…

It also opened a fairly significant flaw in the massed Rubrics, in my opinion. The list could definitely do with some more support, because overwhelming enemy support proved disastrous for the Rubrics, who could do little in response once we were out of HQs and command points.

Overall, I played a sloppy game and Josh made me pay the price. You learn the most from your losses, though, and I’m looking forward to our next game!

Comments

Popular Posts