Black Templars vs Chaos Demons – Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition Battle Report


The actions of the Death Guard have finally opened a rift into the Warp, and Nurgle’s demonic legions have spilled forth. As Grandfather’s Garden takes root in the wintry wastes, it falls to the Black Templars to cleanse their foul presence from this place.


The Armies

The Last Crusade
Space Marines – 2,000

Battalion Detachment
Black Templars

HQ
High Marshal Helbrecht

The Emperor’s Champion

TROOPS
9 Crusaders: Meltagun, 2 Power Swords

9 Crusaders: Plasma Gun, 2 Power Swords

9 Crusaders: Plasma Gun, 2 Power Swords

ELITES

10 Reivers

FAST ATTACK

10 Assault Marines: 3 Plasma Pistols, Power Sword, Combat Shield

3 Inceptors: Assault Bolters

HEAVY SUPPORT

10 Devastators: 4 Missile Launchers, Armorium Cherub

TRANSPORTS

Repulsor: Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, 3 Storm Bolters,            Fragstorm Launcher

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

Nuntius Cacotheus
Chaos Demons – 2,000

Battalion Detachment

HQ
Great Unclean One: WARLORD (Plaguefly Hive); Smite, Fleshy Abundance, Miasma of Pestilence

Sloppity Bilepiper

TROOPS
3 Nurglings

3 Nurglings

3 Nurglings

3 Nurglings

FORTIFICATION
Feculent Gnarlmaw

Battalion Detachment
HQ
Poxbringer: Smite, Shirveling Pox; Corruptor

Poxbringer: Smite, Virulent Blessing

Spoilpox Scrivener

TROOPS
30 Plaguebearers: Instrument of Chaos, Demonic Icon

29 Plaguebearers: Instrument of Chaos, Demonic Icon

29 Plaguebearers: Instrument of Chaos, Demonic Icon

29 Plaguebearers: Instrument of Chaos, Demonic Icon

FAST ATTACK
6 Plague Drones: Instrument of Chaos, Demonic Icon

After Action Review

When I set up for this game, I knew I was going to have a tentative hold on five objectives, and a pretty solid foundation to hold three. I expected to simply weather the storm and continue to feed the war of attrition on the front line, racking up points on objectives as I went. Instead, the Black Templars proved to have learned some patience, and I spent the game advancing into a brutal wall of firepower.

This is one of the first times Josh’s marines actually acted like Space Marines, and they really brought the damage! I underestimated just how hard they were going to shoot, and I learned quickly that my initial battle plan had been far too passive. This led to some brutal damage and my inability to ever fully envelope his army. He calmly fed me units, making me pay for every step I took forward. Until those final turns, it really looked like he had done exactly what he needed to do!

I do believe I learned a valuable lesson about the Nurglings. I think I would be better served in missions like this by leaving them in the back field. From there they could have blocked reinforcement arrival and held down objectives, freeing the Plaguebearers for a more concerted push. I also want to find points for a Demon Prince, since I think he will tip the close combat factor even more heavily for the Plaguebearers.

Hats off to Josh for an epic game that lasted well into the night. Stay tuned; the tenants of the garden are just getting started!

Comments

Popular Posts