Deeper Thought - Why I Play Tau


I played Iron Warriors back in the days of the “3.5 Chaos” Codex, as it has come to be known. During those days I played a very different style army list than most other Iron Warriors; five hundred points of my army were dedicated close combat troops, designed to smash aside any resistance that my significant firepower failed to destroy. I also used only two Obliterator squads and two Heavy Support choices. I always found it humorous the way pre-game conversations went with strangers at tournaments:

“So what army do you play?”

“Iron Warriors.”

I now receive a look that says, “Oh, you’re THAT guy…”
“So how many Heavy Support choices do you have?”

“Just two.”

Confused stare.
“Where are all your points?”

“Terminators and Bikers.”

Smile. “Maybe this guy isn’t so bad after all…”

I learned very early on that people frequently begin with preconceived notions about you because of the army you choose to play. For me, the Iron Warriors were appealing because of their background. I love the idea of a methodical war of attrition where the application of overwhelming firepower breaks a siege. My army was designed to reflect this, rather than being designed to milk all the power out of the Iron Warriors rules in that much beloved, much bemoaned Codex.

Fast forward almost ten years. Since the 3.5 Chaos Space Marines book has gone away, I have bounced from one army to another in an attempt to find a good home for myself. I had a pretty long stay with the Tyranids in late 4th and early 5th edition, and I hope to soon return to them as an army. However, I’ve been unhappy with the Chaos Space Marines books since 3.5, as there is really no way to play a “fluffy” Iron Warriors army. After trying almost every army in the game, I finally settled on Codex: Tau Empire.

Remember my discussion from before; I do not play Tau Empire because it is the current flavor of the month. I play Tau Empire because I love their story and their way of war. Once again, the methodical application of firepower pulled me in. If there is a Riptide in my list, there is only ever one (I played two in an Apocalypse list). If there are Broadsides with High Yield Missile Pods, there is only one squad.

That last paragraph is going to be my only defense of the Tau Empire Codex. If you are here looking for an article supporting or condemning quad Riptide lists, you’ve come to the wrong place. The following thoughts are simply the reasons I enjoy playing Tau.

I. The Fluff


The story of the Tau Empire has always been interesting to me, but I only really began to explore it in this latest edition. I like the way they function as a race, always building towards a greater solution for the species as a whole. I also love their technology, and their positive attitude in a dark and dying galaxy.

I also love the battle suits! The imagery of the Crisis and Riptide teams launching assaults with Stealth and Broadside teams in support is very interesting, and I’m hoping to soon try an all-suit list with the Farsight Enclaves for this very reason.

II. Their Way of War


The combat doctrine of the Tau Empire seems very similar to modern militaries in many ways. I enjoy reading the USMC Warfighting Manuals, and many of the theories and ideas in those articles have application within a Tau army. Force Concentration is a big principle that guides the Tau way of war; if you spread thinly then the Tau’s firepower isn’t very impressive. However, a focused aggression from several squads of Fire Warriors and Crisis Teams, supported by Markerlights, is one of the most effective ways to remove the dangerous targets on the table.

Mobility is another aspect in their way of war that fascinates me. I enjoy playing an army that moves around a lot; static armies like Imperial Guard and (some) Space Marines just become dull for me rather quickly. I would rather maneuver to the objectives and make my fight from there, pulling my enemy into feints or launching attacks against his less-protected flanks. The Tau army excels at these types of tactics.

III. The Models


I love the Tau Empire model range, as I feel it offers a lot to the conversion guru and the painting master (of which I am neither). The battle suits can share bits across their range, meaning you have a lot of variation in pose and construction. Plus, the models look absolutely amazing when painted to a high standard. The clean-cut lines and graceful nature of their suits and tanks make them stand out in a galaxy inhabited by spikes, stabbing claws, and massive engines.

I hope this explains why I love the Tau so much, and I’m sure there are thousands of Tau players like me who just want to be understood. Never judge a book by its cover. If you have a friend who plays Tau, ask him to switch armies with you once and give them a go. At the very least it may give you some insight into a better way to beat them.

Who knows? Maybe you will be the next convert to the Greater Good…

Comments

Popular Posts