Book Review – Codex: Orks

It’s been longer in coming that I originally intended, but today I have a review for the new edition of Codex: Orks.

The Orks have always held a special place in my heart. My group has always referred to it as “The Green Fever,” that indescribable desire to be a part of the antics when the Orks are around. I think this Codex has continued this tradition, as the Orks maintained their zany nature in the midst of warfare.

The fluff was interesting with this edition, as they went away from the established story of Ghaz Thraka and the War for Armageddon to focus on a new Warboss. The stories of Ghaz are still there, but they play a less prominent role as Boss Grukk is given his turn in the spotlight.

I think this was a good move on the part of Games Workshop, and I hope they continue with this strategy in future releases. We can all point to that one story with each faction that has become so regurgitated it is hard to read. These stories, battles, and characters still need to feature in each edition, so that new players can be kept up to speed on the major events. However, it is nice to see new stories to keep the veterans interested in the story line.

I’m also a big fan of the new rules for the Orks. Players have seemed very mixed on this front, but I believe the Orks are still positioned well to be a competitive threat. Tankbusta Boyz are the biggest winners in my mind. Their reduced points cost, coupled with the change to Glory Hogs and the addition of Tank Hunters, means that they will go a long way to removing any enemy’s armored threats. Add in Melta Bombs for everyone in the squad, and even the dreaded Super Heavies have reason to pause in their presence. I feel two squads of these will be a standard for any Ork lists I may make.

I also appreciate the thought that went into the new Mob Rule. There is still a good incentive for the Ork player to bring big mobs of Boyz, and the infighting matches their fluff much more closely than simply gaining Fearless ever did. The Orks are supposed to be a rowdy crowd of fighters, and the new rules reflect that very well without inflicting too much harm on the Ork army itself. Gaining Fearless seemed to imply that they became a disciplined unit as long as lots of them were around. The new rule shows that they have strength in numbers, but their “fighting spirit” is not diminished in the slightest.

I’m still out on the Big Mek Gunz. Part of me really likes them, especially the Traktor Kannon. The weapon has the potential to give Orks an edge against enemy Flyers that few forces can boast. Unfortunately, they will be required in large quantities to do the damage required. I think it is easy to look at the improved Ballistic Skill of the Gretchin and let your mind believe they are more accurate than they really are. To get full use of them, I think it is important to take as many Ammo Runts as you can stuff into the army.


The new models are fantastic, although I wish they would update some of the oldest Ork kits. In a very big way I’m a fan of what Games Workshop has done with the Orks. If they had done Blood Angels instead of Space Wolves for the August release, then I have no doubt I’d own a horde of the smelly aliens again. Who knows? Maybe there are choppas and loads of dakka somewhere in my future…

Comments

Popular Posts