Black Templars vs Khorne Demons


The Khorne Demons have spent many months on the shelves as other armies earned their share of glory, but the Blood God now rages for his due. His minions assemble for war, ready to fall upon the Black Templars with tooth and blade. Yet the Emperor’s sons do not intend to go quietly into the night. Who will emerge victorious from this bitter conflict?


The Armies

The Last Crusade
Space Marines – 2,000

Battalion Detachment
Black Templars

HQ
Captain: WARLORD (Rites of War), Teeth of Terra

The Emperor’s Champion

TROOPS
10 Crusaders: Multi-Melta, Meltagun, Sword Brother has Power Sword

9 Crusaders: Meltagun, Power Sword, Sword Brother has Power Sword

9 Crusaders: Meltagun, Power Sword, Sword Brother has Power Sword

ELITES
3 Aggressors: Flamestorm Gauntlets

FAST ATTACK
3 Inceptors: Assault Bolters

10 Assault Marines: 2 Plasma Pistols, Sergeant has Plasma Pistol, Power Sword, and Combat       Shield

HEAVY SUPPORT
Vindicator

Vindicator

Vindicator

DEDICATED TRANSPORTS
Repulsor: Heavy Onslaught Cannon, Onslaught Cannon, 3 Storm Bolters, Twin Heavy Bolters

Rhino: Storm Bolter

Rhino: Storm Bolter

Rhino: Storm Bolter

The Tithe
Chaos Demons – 2,000

Battalion Detachment

HQ
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage: WARLORD (Oblivious to Pain), Armor of Scorn

Bloodmaster

TROOPS
10 Bloodletters: Instrument of Chaos

10 Bloodletters: Instrument of Chaos

10 Bloodletters: Instrument of Chaos

FAST ATTACK
7 Flesh Hounds

6 Flesh Hounds

6 Flesh Hounds

ELITES
5 Bloodcrushers: Banner of Blood, Instrument of Chaos

HEAVY SUPPORT
Soulgrinder

Spearhead Detachment

HQ
Blood Throne

HEAVY SUPPORT
Soulgrinder

Skullcannon

Skullcannon

After Action Review

Apparently Khorne is not very happy with the time I have spent in Nurgle’s squishy embrace…

In the past Josh has struggled against my Khornate Demons, but this time his Templars were out for blood. I honestly knew I was in trouble as soon as I set up. I didn’t have the tank-killing capacity to reliably knock down even a single Rhino, and I felt like I needed the Soulgrinders on the move. This only added to the lack of offense until I arrived, and he was able to chew me up from the protection of his vehicles.

The Rhino wall just provided something I couldn’t break. I was trading two to one every time I took a unit out, and it was all because of the armor. This is a weakness I will definitely have to address in the future, though I’m not immediately sure how I will approach the problem. I’m thinking another Bloodthirster and many, MANY more Bloodletters are in order. I basically played with what I had painted, and I paid for my laziness!

I also think I’ll be deploying the Bloodthirster and the ‘letters from now on. It seems to take them less time with Advances to get into range for a reasonable chance at a charge. I got lucky with the charges from the back corner; without those charges going in, this game would have gone from lopsided to an embarrassing route.

With all that said, I may leave the Soulgrinders at home for the foreseeable future. They may work better in an army that is built to hold ground and shoot, but the Khornate approach simply needs more pressure in the early game. Grinders also feel pretty weak in comparison to similarly priced options from other armies; I’m only sixty points or so shy of costing as much as the Repulsor that completely obliterated my army. That’s thirty more Bloodletters I’m giving up, per Soulgrinder!

Regardless, Khorne is pleased with the outcome. The ground is drenched with the blood of the slain, and the bulk of the Templar infantry sent their skulls back to the brass throne as tribute. Another day in Khorne’s bloody paradise!

Comments

Popular Posts