Black Templars vs Necrons - Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition Battle Report


Sealed orders have arrived for the Templars Marshal, and he will honor his Emperor at any price in his pursuit of victory. Their Necron foes have their own enigmatic plans, and their cryptic missions have brought them across one another’s path. Battle is joined, and only one force can survive…


The Armies

The Last Crusade
Space Marines – 2,000

Battalion Detachment
Black Templars

HQ
Captain: WARLORD (Rites of War); The Teeth of Terra

The Emperor’s Champion

TROOPS
10 Crusaders: Multi-Melta, Meltagun, Power Sword, 7 Bolters

9 Crusaders: Meltagun, 2 Power Swords, 7 Bolt Pistols/Chainswords

9 Crusaders: Meltagun, 2 Power Swords, 7 Bolt Pistols/Chainswords

ELITES
3 Aggressors: Flamestorm Gauntlets

FAST ATTACK
3 Inceptors: Assault Bolters

10 Assault Marines: Jump Packs, 3 Plasma Pistols, Power Sword/Combat Shield

HEAVY SUPPORT
Vindicator

Vindicator

Vindicator

TRANSPORTS
Repulsor: Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, 3 Storm Bolters

Rhino: Storm Bolter

Rhino: Storm Bolter

Dagon Dynasty
Necrons – 2,000

Battalion Detachment
Sautekh Dynasty

HQ
Catacomb Command Barge: WARLORD (Immortal Pride), Gauss Cannon, Staff of Light,          Nightmare Shroud

Cryptek: Chronometron

TROOPS
10 Immortals: Gauss Blasters

10 Immortals: Gauss Blasters

10 Immortals: Gauss Blasters

16 Necron Warriors

16 Necron Warriors

16 Necron Warriors

FAST ATTACK
6 Canoptek Wraiths

HEAVY SUPPORT
3 Heavy Destroyers

TRANSPORTS
Ghost Ark

After Action Review

I expected a ton of casualties in the early game from the Templars’ wall of armor. There were too many guns, and I knew all the T8 out there was going to prove problematic for the Warriors in terms of effective damage dealing. I knew I was going to have to be patient and play the long game, relying on my Reanimation Protocols to keep me in the game. Then the Wraiths turned all that on its head.

I initially planned to deploy the Wraiths on my right flank, in an attempt to sneak quickly into the enemy lines without drawing much in the way of damage. I then decided to send them up the left. If they got crippled in the process of drawing enemy fire, they would still be able to tie a tank up here and there while diverting resources away from my main line. Every bullet they drew would be something not targeting my Necrons.

Those invulnerable saves, though! The Wraiths came up huge and forced a ton of firepower off-target, surviving the process to be a nuisance for the Vindicators for the remainder of the game. They also drew the Emperor’s Champion and his Marines off target. While they might have survived the game, they never had the ability to effect the main Necron advance, and I was able to comfortably hold four objectives for the majority of play.

Losing the Repulsor so early was a huge blow as well. Every time I think about taking out the Heavy Destroyers for more infantry and/or more Crypteks, they come up big and remind me why they’re in the army to start with. I definitely want to find a way to put a second squad in; at that point they go from a dangerous fire support element to an absolute powerhouse in terms of board dominance. I really want to get my hands on some more models to make it happen and see how it turns out!

Comments

Popular Posts