Warhammer 40,000 Battle Report #26 – Blood Angels vs Orks

We’ve got another bloodbath for you on Stulte Mors today, as the Blood Angels and Orks continue their bitter rivalry. Let the call sound forth; the Angels of Death are marching to war!


Army Lists
Blood Angels 4th Company
Blood Angels – 2,000

HQ

Chaplain: WARLORD (Red Rampage), Jump Pack

TROOPS

Tactical Squad: five additional Space Marines; Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Veteran Sergeant with       Combi-Flamer and Power Fist, Rhino transport

Tactical Squad: Plasma Gun, Razorback transport with Lascannon and Twin Plasma Guns

Tactical Squad: Plasma Gun, Razorback transport with Lascannon and Twin Plasma Guns

ELITES

Death Company Squad: five additional Death Company; Jump Packs, 1x Thunder Hammer and   Boltgun

Furioso Dreadnought: Frag Cannon, Power Fist with Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod transport with       Deathwind Missile Launchers

FAST ATTACK

Assault Squad: five additional Space Marines; 2x Meltagun, Veteran Sergeant with Power Fist

Assault Squad: five additional Space Marines; 2x Meltagun, Veteran Sergeant with Power Fist

HEAVY SUPPORT

Vindicator: Overcharged Engines, Siege Shield

Baal Predator: Twin Assault Cannons, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Dozer Blade

Baal Predator: Twin Assault Cannons, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Dozer Blade

Waaagh! Gorfang
Orks – 2,000

HQ

Warboss: Mega Armor with Power Klaw and Twin Shootas, Da Lucky Stikk, Attack Squig,         Bosspole

TROOPS

Ork Boyz: two additional Ork Boyz; Boss Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole, Trukk transport with Rokkit Launcha, Reinforced Ram, and Boarding Plank

Ork Boyz: two additional Ork Boyz; Boss Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole, Trukk transport with Rokkit Launcha, Reinforced Ram, and Boarding Plank

Ork Boyz: two additional Ork Boyz; Boss Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole, Trukk transport with Rokkit Launcha, Reinforced Ram, and Boarding Plank

Ork Boyz: two additional Ork Boyz; Boss Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole, Trukk transport with Rokkit Launcha, Reinforced Ram, and Boarding Plank

ELITES

Meganobz: two additional Meganobz; 2x Kombi-Skorcha, Battlewagon transport with      Reinforced Ram, Boarding Plank, and 2x Big Shoota

Tankbustas: ten additional Tankbustas; 3x Bomb Squig, Boss Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole

FAST ATTACK

Stormboyz: ten additional Stormboyz; Boss Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole

Deffkoptas: three additional Deffkoptas; 4x Twin Rokkit Launchas

Deffkoptas: three additional Deffkoptas; 4x Twin Rokkit Launchas

HEAVY SUPPORT

Battlewagon: Killkannon, 2x Big Shoota, Reinforced Ram, Boarding Plank

After-Action Review

When the smoke cleared at the end of my second turn, neither of us could really wrap our head around what had just happened. I moved my models on the table, and had a moment when I realized that he was going to take absolutely no damage from me in the first turn. I knew then that I was in serious trouble, and that the game was most likely about to take a turn for the worse for me.

After his shooting, I was reminded of how much more resilient AV10 vehicles feel now, yet I know that I still walked away with more survivors than I should have. That low roll on the damage for the Warboss’s ‘Wagon was a huge help for me, because he was able to pile out and remove that nasty Death Company squad in one fell swoop. I don’t know that anything else in my army could have pulled those guys down, and when I realized how short the charge had to be (7”, plus 2 for the Plank), I thought I had a pretty good chance if I called the Waaagh! As it turned out, that went down as one of the most brutal second turns ever.

Trukk Boyz are so much faster than they seem to be at first glance, and it makes them excellent shock troopers for flanking maneuvers and other end-around types of attack. I was pleasantly surprised with their performance, and I think I’ll probably be trying to squeeze in a couple of them in most of my games as outriders and general nuisance-causers.

I do think my opponent would have been served better by patiently waiting deeper in his deployment zone, though this is purely hindsight. When he made his moves I thought that I was in serious trouble, and I was surprised at how much actually survived. If those Death Company had waited just a tad further back, I know they could have pushed the issue in later turns. I’m not sure they had any business fighting the Meganobz, even on the charge, but I KNOW they would have had no issue dealing with anything else in my army at no cost to themselves.


Let us have it, armchair generals! Where did we go wrong? Give us your insight on the game in the comments below.

Comments

Popular Posts