40k Video Battle Report – ATC Battle 3

This battle report showcases our third spin with the ATC mission, and the second video report covering the mission. The ATC mission and more information on the event can be found at www.whatc.org.


The Armies

Relictors 3rd Company
Space Marines – 1,850

Primary Detachment
Chapter Tactics: White Scars

HQ

Kor’sarro Khan

ELITES

Vanguard Veteran Squad: three additional Veterans, Power Maul, Rhino transport

TROOPS

Tactical Squad: Flamer, Razorback transport with Lascannon and Twin Plasma Guns

Tactical Squad: Flamer, Razorback transport with Lascannon and Twin Plasma Guns

FAST ATTACK

Stormtalon Gunship: Skyhammer Missile Launcher, Twin Assault Cannons

Stormtalon Gunship: Skyhammer Missile Launcher, Twin Assault Cannons

HEAVY SUPPORT

Stormraven Gunship: Twin Multi-Melta, Twin Assault Cannon, Hurricane Bolters

Stalker

Whirlwind

Allied Detachment
Chapter Tactics: Imperial Fists
HQ

Chaplain

TROOPS

Tactical Squad: five additional Space Marines, Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma, Rhino transport

HEAVY SUPPORT

Devastator Centurion Squad: Twin Lascannons and Missile Launchers, Sergeant has Omniscope

Hive Fleet Nug Assault Swarm
Tyranids – 1,850

FORTIFICATION

Firestorm Redoubt

HQ

The Swarmlord: Warp Blast, Catalyst, Paroxysm

Tervigon: Paroxysm

ELITES

Hive Guard Brood: two additional Hive Guard, Impaler Cannons

Hive Guard Brood: one additional Hive Guard, Impaler Cannons

Venomthrope Brood: one additional Venomthrope

TROOPS

Tervigon: Catalyst

Termagant Brood: twenty additional Termagants; twenty-seven have Devourers, three have Fleshborers

HEAVY SUPPORT

Mawloc

Mawloc

After-Action Report

Ouch. For the vast majority of this game I felt that I simply could not abandon the building I was bunkered around. The Flyers had too much presence, and the Space Marines just weren’t in range for me to deal out any damage. I feel that I had to play laterally for almost the entire game, and I was only able to come out and start pushing the center when he was forced to commit as well.

All told, this list fell flat on its face. I was reacting to his decisions each turn, and when I play Tyranids I absolutely do not want to be reactionary. I missed the winged creatures, and I cringed when I realized how easily the Hive Crones could have removed some of the Flyer threat. With good play I could have positioned them where the Venomthropes would have still been in range to provide cover when they started Swooping.

It was a test to see if the Flying Monstrous Creatures were as indispensable as they seemed, and after the first test run it still seems to be the case. The speed they bring is very important, and they are one of the only ways the Tyranids can reliably deal with enemy Flyers. The Firestorm Redoubt would have been nice to see in action, but I deployed it poorly and it went down in flames before it fired a single shot.


I did like the buffs Swarmlord threw, but in the end I still like the speedy approach to the swarm better. Next time I’ll probably test a list with no Tervigons or Termagants, and instead push as many Hormagaunts in as possible. Until next time!

Comments

Popular Posts