DzC Video Battle Report – Encroachment

This week we decided to play our first game of Dropzone Commander at 2,000 points, and we figured it was a good time to try out the Encroachment mission as well. After trying several different formats for writing a battle report for DzC, I’ve decided it is much easier to showcase the game through video footage instead. A fair warning; this is my first attempt at a video battle report, and I saw several things I plan to do differently in the future when I watched the final result for myself. Expect these to improve as time goes on, especially camera control!

I explain the mission and briefly touch on the armies in the video, but I will also provide written lists here for reference.


The Armies

Ubii Tribe Attack Party
Shaltari Tribes – 2,000

Court of Elders
COMMAND – Coyote Warstrider with Prime Warchief
EXOTIC – Firstborns
HEAVY – 2x Ocelot Warstriders
SCOUT – 4x Yari Light Grav-Tank with Light Ion Cannon

Shaltari Swordpoint
STANDARD – 4x Tarantula Battlestriders
SUPPORT – 2x Thunderbird Gunships
SUPPORT - Firedrake

Shaltari Warrior Clan
INFANTRY - Braves
INFANTRY - Braves
SUPPORT – 2x Birdeater Battlestriders

Shaltari Warrior Clan
INFANTRY - Braves
INFANTRY - Braves
SUPPORT – 2x Birdeater Battlestriders

Wings of the Chieftain (Gate Pool)
Gaia Heavy Gate
3x Eden Medium Gates
2x Spirit Light Gates
3x Haven Terragates

UCM Fleet Marine Security Force TF-109
United Colonies of Man – 2,000

Field Command
COMMAND – Kodiak ACV with Colonial General
SCOUT – 4x Wolverine LAV Type As
SUPPORT – Ferrum Drone Base

Armored Formation
STANDARD – 6x Sabre MBTs
SUPPORT – 3x Rapier AA Tanks
Mounted in an Albatross Heavy Dropship
SUPPORT – 3x Rapier AA Tanks
Mounted in Condor Medium Dropship

Legionnaire Corps
INFANTRY – 3x Legionnaires
Mounted in Bear APC
INFANTRY – 3x Legionnaires
Mounted in Bear APC
All mounted in Condor Medium Dropship

Legionnaire Corps
INFANTRY – 3x Legionnaires
Mounted in Bear APC
INFANTRY – 3x Legionnaires
Mounted in Bear APC
All mounted in Condor Medium Dropship

Expeditionary Group
SCOUT – 3x Praetorian Snipers
Mounted in Raven A Light Dropship
EXOTIC – 2x Praetorians
Mounted in Raven-A Light Dropship
EXOTIC – 2x Praetorians
Mounted in Raven-A Light Dropship

Special Ordnance
HEAVY – 2x Scimitar Tank Destroyers 

After-Action Review

That game was close down to the end. My army had escaped with very little damage, but I knew as soon as those infantry dug in, it was going to be close.

I’ve been struggling with the direction of the Shaltari after several games; when I compare my units to those in other armies, it seems I’m always more lightly armored, carry less firepower, and cost more points. I also noticed that, in many instances, my opponent is faster than me when on the offensive. All of these factors have been confusing me; what is the Shaltari’s angle?

With this game, I think I’m starting to understand the points cost of my units. How do you put a value on a unit that can be almost anywhere within a turn? When any other faction buys an AA platform, it is more or less known where it will be for the rest of the game. Even if it mounts up in a dropship again, you know exactly which dropship is picking it up.

None of these points are true for the Shaltari. As midgame rolled around he capitalized on the AA weakness on my right flank and pushed his Infantry through to take my deployment zone. The Shaltari gate technology was my saving grace, as it allowed the Birdeaters to redeploy across three feet of the table instantly, granting me a threat to the Condors and forcing them to abandon their chalks early. This gave the Ocelots time to do what they do best, destroying a building and reigning in the points I was set to hemorrhage at game’s end. I still have a lot to learn, but I’m starting to see their penchant for misdirection and falsehood.


In the coming weeks I plan to expand my horizons and engage the other factions within my group. I’m looking forward to seeing how I compare to the lightning fast destruction of the Scourge and the rugged resiliency of the Shaltari. Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts