Community: The Art of the Demo

A week and a half ago I met with my group at Gamer’s Arsenal in Sparta for a day of casual gaming. I decided to leave my 40k army at home, since I would primarily be focused on demonstrating Dropzone Commander. Griff had also assured me I could borrow his Orks or Space Marines if it came down to it, so I knew I would be set one way or another!

Griff’s younger brother Brandon took up the United Colonies of Man, and Hutch took on the role of the Scourge. I enjoyed showing the rules to some new players, and I appreciated the excitement they showed in learning. Brandon has never played wargames before, but he ended up replaying the starter game several times. Once he faced my Shaltari, and twice he faced the Scourge.

Demonstrating a new game is not for everyone, but if you’ve never tried it then you should definitely give it a try. I found myself caught up in the most basic elements of the game once more, and I enjoyed watching them pull out every trick at their disposal to have a fast-paced and close game. Maybe it was my own passion for the game rubbing off, or maybe I’ve found another pair to join our gaming community. Either way, the day was tremendous fun!

There are a few ideas I use when I demonstrate any game, and you can use them to enhance your own demos if you’re having trouble getting them off the ground.

1. Allow Your Enthusiasm to Shine Through

Your passion for a game system will rub off on those you are teaching, especially if you wear it on your sleeve. People will know that a game is worth getting into if players are passionate to share it with those who are new.

2. Let the Game Explain Itself

You should never attempt to cram rules down a new player’s throat. Explain the basics, and then get out of the way and let the game bring up its own situations where new rules can be explained. With this baseline set out before the players, they can start the journey themselves. No one wants to hear a lecture before they start throwing dice!

3. Remember the Sparrow’s Way

The old saying is that the sparrow teaches it’s young to fly with a good boot from the nest. Although I’m not sure how true this phrase really is, the point stands true for wargames. Don’t spend a lot of time trying to sell the story, or the models, or the rules. If a prospective player is interested in gaming, then put them in the driver’s seat immediately! With you there to coach them through the bumpy areas, this will immediately immerse them in the game itself. From there, they can easily decide what works best for them.


There you have it, a rough outline I use when teaching games to new players. There is obviously much more to it, but these basic ideas will set you off in the right direction. What do you do to bring the excitement for a new player? How often do you work with new players, in an attempt to enrich the community? Feel free to leave a response, and give us your ideas on how to best demonstrate a game system!

Comments

Popular Posts