Warhammer 40,000 Battle Report #19 – Astra Militarum vs Space Wolves

Today is our second installment for the Stulte Mors campaign, with the forces of disorder striking out against an Imperial defense network. The forces of disorder will be working to bring ruin to the defenses, while the Imperials are seeking to hold the line no matter the cost.

Josh will be piloting my Space Wolves against Hutch’s renegades. Let the battle begin!



The Armies

The Scarred
Astra Militarum – 2,000

Steel Host Formation

Tank Commander: WARLORD (Conqueror of Cities); Leman Russ Vanquisher with Camo          Netting, Hull Lascannon, and Sponson Multi-Meltas; joined by Leman Russ Vanquisher     with Camo Netting, Hull Lascannon, and Sponson Multi-Meltas

Leman Russ Executioner: Hull Lascannon, Sponson Plasma Cannons

Leman Russ Demolisher: Hull Lascannon

Leman Russ Eradicator: Hull Heavy Bolter, Sponson Heavy Bolters

Hydra

Combined Arms Detachment

HQ

Company Command Squad: Carapace Armor, Krak Grenades; Company Commander has             Plasma Pistol; 3x Plasma Gun, Heavy Flamer

TROOPS

Veterans: Carapace Armor, Krak Grenades; 2x Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Chimera transport with Multi-Laser, Hull Heavy Flamer, and Dozer Blades

Veterans: Carapace Armor, Krak Grenades; 2x Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Chimera transport with Multi-Laser, Hull Heavy Flamer, and Dozer Blades

Veterans: Carapace Armor, Krak Grenades; 2x Plasma Gun, Heavy Flamer, Chimera transport      with Multi-Laser, Hull Heavy Flamer, and Dozer Blades

FAST ATTACK

Vendetta Gunship

HEAVY SUPPORT

Wyvern

Wyvern

The Vlka Fenryka
Space Wolves – 2,000

Combined Arms Detachment

HQ

Wolf Lord: WARLORD (Saga of the Bear); Thunderwolf Mount, Runic Armor, Thunder             Hammer, Storm Shield

Wolf Priest

ELITES

Lone Wolf: Terminator Armor, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

TROOPS

Grey Hunters: five additional Grey Hunters; 2x Meltagun, Wolf Guard Squad Leader has Combi-            Melta and Power Fist, Drop Pod transport

Grey Hunters: Plasma Gun, Razorback transport with Lascannon and Twin Plasma Guns

Grey Hunters: Plasma Gun, Razorback transport with Lascannon and Twin Plasma Guns

Blood Claws: four additional Blood Claws; Flamer, Power Maul, Wolf Guard Squad Leader with           Twin Wolf Claws, Drop Pod transport

FAST ATTACK

Thunderwolf Cavalry: two additional Thunderwolf Cavalry; 5x Storm Shields, 2x Power Fist

Stormwolf: Twin Helfrost Cannons, Twin Lascannons, 2x Twin Multi-Meltas

HEAVY SUPPORT

Long Fangs: four additional Long Fangs; 5x Lascannon, Ancient is replaced with Wolf Guard     Squad Leader with Terminator Armor, Storm Bolter and Storm Shield

After Action Review

Brandon:
Well, where do I start? Overall I went into this game fairly confident that I could capture the bunkers. My main worry was the Thunderwolves. I knew if I didn’t eliminate them they would really hurt me but if they were gone then I could take the bunkers one at a time. So top of turn one I fired everything I had into them, and did hardly anything. I was then forced to watch as that squad killed the majority of my army. I love playing tanks and that was my first attempt using the Steel Host formation. I was left with this feeling of needing to go back to the drawing board as it felt underwhelming and vulnerable to death star style units. Feel free to leave any pointers in the feedback because I’m left dumbfounded as to how to now approach my army!

Randall:
That was bloody! I had fun watching these two armies duke it out in a siege grinder mission, although the Space Wolves decided that waiting for the enemy to approach was a complete waste of good fighting time! The Thunderwolves really took the hurt to the enemy early, and used that extended deployment zone to their advantage.

If I had been commanding the Guard army, I think I would have split my force up either flank, forcing the Thunderwolves to commit to one side or the other. This would leave half my force to push in on the weaker Space Wolves holdings. That said, hindsight is 50/50. Those cavalry just absolutely refused to die!


Stay tuned for more games in the campaign for Stulte Mors, coming in the near future. We’d be happy to have any of you playing along, just follow the links in the video description to leave mission results with Shane.

Comments

Popular Posts