Warhammer 40,000 Battle Report #19 – Space Marines vs Tyranids


Today we continue our coverage of the Stulte Mors campaign. This week the dread forces of Hive Fleet Nug make planetfall against the Space Marines of the Relictors. Can the Adeptus Astartes turn back the tide?

“The scouts have all reported the same,” Sergeant Diyor said. “Tyranids. Nug has made planetfall.”

Surat could not, would not forget the Tyranids of Hive Fleet Nug. They had proven a thorn in his chapter’s side, and several companies had fallen in combat with them in the past. Surat himself felt the bio-plasma wounds on his face tighten as he scowled. “We must hold this position, brother. Heavenfall Station has sustained severe damage, she simply cannot fall into the enemy’s hands.”

Overhead the sky grew dark, and a horde of winged monstrosities descended on the station.


The Armies

Relictors 2nd Company
Space Marines – 2,000

Chapter Tactics: Imperial Fists
HQ

Chapter Master Surat: WARLORD (Storm of Fire); Terminator Armor, Thunder Hammer, The     Shield Eternal

ELITES

Sternguard Veterans: five additional Veterans; 2x Heavy Flamer, Rhino transport

Assault Terminators: 2x Lightning Claws, 3x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield

TROOPS

Tactical Squad: five additional Space Marines; Multi-Melta, Meltagun, Rhino transport

Tactical Squad: Plasma Gun, Razorback with Lascannon and Twin Plasma Guns

Tactical Squad: Plasma Gun, Razorback with Lascannon and Twin Plasma Guns

FAST ATTACK

Assault Squad: five additional Space Marines; 2x Flamer, Sergeant has Power Maul, Rhino           transport

Stormtalon Gunship: Twin Assault Cannons, Skyhammer Missile Launcher

Stormtalon Gunship: Twin Assault Cannons, Skyhammer Missile Launcher

HEAVY SUPPORT

Centurion Devastator Squad: 3x Twin Lascannons, 3x Missile Launcher, Sergeant has       Omniscope

Nug
Tyranids – 2,000

HQ

Hive Tyrant: WARLORD (Conqueror of Cities); Wings, 2x Twin Devourers with Brainleech        Worms, Electroshock Grubs

Tervigon: Cluster Spines, Electroshock Grubs

ELITES

Zoanthrope Brood: four additional Zoanthropes, Neurothrope; Dominion, Spirit Leech, Warp       Blast, Onslaught

TROOPS

Hormagaunt Brood: seven additional Hormagaunts; Adrenal Glands

Hormagaunt Brood: seven additional Hormagaunts; Adrenal Glands

FAST ATTACK

Hive Crone: Cluster Spines

Hive Crone: Cluster Spines

HEAVY SUPPORT

Mawloc: Adrenal Glands

Mawloc: Adrenal Glands

Toxicrene

Tyrannocyte

Tyrannocyte

Tyrannocyte

After Action Review

Bunker assaults are always bloody affairs, and this one was no exception. That said, I’m surprised by how much of my force survived to the final turn of the game. This was my first attempt at using the new Tyrannocytes, and I was truly afraid that I had left too much of my force in reserve. By opening with a conservative movement from the flying critters, though, I was able to make a concerted punch once they arrived.

With that said, I was really wondering if the initiative would swing against me in the mid-game. His stuff just refused to die, and I realized as I looked across his army that most of it hadn’t yet engaged. The Flyers came on and really made me wonder if I had what it took to stay the course and get them knocked down. Then the Crones came up big with a pair of Snap Shot hits and turned it back around; those Tentaclids are just so good!

I also think his plan faltered when he didn’t get all those Marines out and engage. There were just too few guns putting fire on the Tyranids, and it allowed me to take him apart piecemeal. I think a more aggressive approach would have helped him more, but I can also understand his apprehension to leave his Rhinos; those Mawlocs are a nightmare to clumped Marine squads!

I wanted to try as much of the new Tyranid stuff as I could manage, and I had a lot of fun with it. I think I drastically misplayed the Toxicrene by deploying him where I did. I’m sure there was a good reason to have him so close to the Terminators, but it escapes me now! He would have been much better served on the opposite flank, where he could have used his Tyrannocyte as a screen to get him into assault against the shootier elements of the Space Marine army.

I rarely take Electroshock Grubs, but they felt very necessary against the wall of bunkers I was assaulting and they paid off big time. I fully expect them to start making regular appearances in my armies, as they made an excellent dent in all that armor. When I take a Thorax Biomorph it is usually Dessicator Larvae, but the S5 AP5 will serve me almost as well against the horde units I was seeking to control in the first place.

The new Zoanthropes with their Neurothrope overlord are AMAZING. Spirit Leech only went off a time or two, but it made sizeable dents when he was making his armor saves against everything else. It also allowed me to have extra dice to throw at Warp Blast, opening up some truly brilliant fireworks displays against the bunkers. Add in the Tyrannocyte to ensure that they reach optimal range, and they really were a brilliant unit.

I’ve been trying desperately to fit a biomorph on my Hormagaunts to experiment with them, but this is the first game where I finally bit the bullet and made myself try. They were really an afterthought to a bunker busting army, added just to keep me from playing Unbound, but they proved what I wanted to know. It makes Hormagaunts a significant threat against APCs, freeing up my beefier shots to knock out heavier units. Furious Charge will also make them much more useful against tougher opponents in close combat.


Expect more Tyranids in the near future; the new models have breathed new life into the army. What do you folks think? Let us know in the comments below which of the new Tyranids are your favorite.

Comments

Popular Posts